Old 18-08-2012, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Mimosa - golden wattle

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
On Wednesday, April 23, 1997 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Nola Williams wrote:
How can I find some seeds or seedlings for this beautiful bush?Nola

try seedville usa .com

There are various acacias called 'golden wattle' and 'mimosa'. There is
also 'Sydney golden wattle' and other variations.

A Pycnantha,

Well blow me down!

Not having any idea what a 'Golden Wattle' was supposed to be, I did a
google and did you know David that A. Pycnantha, which Wikipedia says is the
"Golden Wattle" is Australia's floral emblem? Personally I wouldn't plant
it as IMO it's not very pretty. I dont' think that the old Cootamundra
wattle can be beaten for straight colour but I do like the A. Floribunda
too.

A Longifolia, A Baileyana, Acacia farnesiana are some
possibilities.

See:
http://www.herbiguide.com.au/Descrip...den_Wattle.htm

As for whether it will grow well in your location or the best place to get
seeds, that would depend on where you are.

And wattle seeds need special treatment in order to germinate. IIRC, it's
either scarifying the coat with a bit of sandpaper OR soaking overnight in a
cup of water that has reached boiling point before dropping the seeds into
it.