Old 23-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Dwayne

Default New Tomatoes cut off: What did it?

An easier way to combat cutworms is to put a toothpick or nail into the
ground next to your plants. I understand that a cutworm has to circle the
plant to cut it off. A nail or toothpick would prevent that. I tried it
and it works, as long as we are dealing with cutworms.

Dwayne

"Pam" wrote in message
In our last fun filled episode, Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:48:16 GMT,
Frau Himmel proclaimed:

For two nights in succession,
Something has cut two tomatos and three
egg plants off @ 2.5 inches off the ground.
It's a clean cut, almost surgical. Doesn't
seem anything was eaten, just severed.

Do you have mulch piled up that high?

What is the area surrounding the garden like? Are
you in the country where critters might easily get in,
or it a more sububan/urban area?

Have you considered putting some sticky traps around the
base of one of your plants to see if you can catch the culprit?

Give us some more details and let's see if we can figure this
out!

Pam

---
"Oh no, not again."
- A bowl of petunias on its way to certain death