Old 18-08-2012, 09:20 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
We hear a lot about weeding but nothing about hoeing.
My favourite hoe is a "Stirrup" hoe, for those that don't know it
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...StirrupHoe.jpg
This tool makes weeding a little less of a chore. The stirrup-shaped
blade swivels back and forth like the hips of a hula dancer (hence the
name), slicing weed roots below the soil line. Because it’s a
long-handled tool, you can cut out weeds while standing, which is a huge
back saver. And the blade oscillates back and forth, so it works both
when you pull it toward you and when you push it away, making it easy to
maneuver in tight spaces between plants.
Interesting the different approach. I've never got on with a hoe, and I think maybe having stony sticky clay soil is part of it - certainly running it along just below the soil surface doesn't work.

I prefer doing my gardening sitting down, so inching along on my knees with a test match on the radio suits me fine. And I get the added bonus of the chance of a good look at anything that's growing, and the ability to save anything interesting.