Old 23-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Jeff Shimonski

Default Bromeliads - Pineapples

Definitely some pineapples set seed, and I was incorrect in implying that all
A. comosus were infertile, but you might want to check out some of the literature
by David H. Benzing or perhaps Studies in the Bromeliaceae by Lyman B. Smith,
Contributions from the Reed Herbarium No. 28, 1977 under Ananas pp. 56
"Berry sterile in cultivated forms"

From: "Jeff Shimonski"

Perhaps the "purpose" is insecticidal. Ananas comosus wasn't always seedless
and the enzyme might have functioned as a toxin or repellant to insect larvae
that
could have damaged the fruit before the seeds could be dispersed.

This also is a reasonable theory. It can easily be tested by examining wild
species of Ananas for fruit predation by insects through various stages of
developement.

Sean BRBR

This may be a bit off topic, but thought I'd reply to the "Ananas comosus
wasn't always seedless," above. As far as I know, all pineapples are still
completely fertile, and will make plenty of viable seeds IF they are pollenized
by a different cultivar. They are quite self-incompatible, and are grown
commercially in single-variety plantings to force seedlessness.