Old 18-08-2012, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Weeds V Hoes

"David Hill" wrote ...

We hear a lot about weeding but nothing about hoeing.
My favourite hoe is a "Stirrup" hoe, for those that don't know it
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...StirrupHoe.jpg
This tool makes weeding a little less of a chore. The stirrup-shaped blade
swivels back and forth like the hips of a hula dancer (hence the name),
slicing weed roots below the soil line. Because it’s a long-handled tool,
you can cut out weeds while standing, which is a huge back saver. And the
blade oscillates back and forth, so it works both when you pull it toward
you and when you push it away, making it easy to maneuver in tight spaces
between plants.

It's the first thing I do when we go down the plot, spend 10 mins or so with
my Wolf push pull weeder (hoe) running around the plot.
http://www.wolf-garten.co.uk/index.p...productdb_pi13[showUid]=1418&cHash=8e36d77da3

We garden on Thames silt/clay and I find this hoe, the smaller of the two
they make, works well. The secret is to never let the top of the soil set
hard but to use the hoe often to ensure you always have an inch or so of
loose soil which when it's hot and dry, like now, ensures weed seeds don't
germinate.

They also do the sort of hoe David likes and again you can get the handle
that suits your height...
http://www.wolf-garten.co.uk/index.p...productdb_pi13[showUid]=1408&cHash=d9837aaf62

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.