Old 19-08-2012, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Petrol mower (Mountfield) lacking power...

On 19 Aug 2012 13:40:44 GMT, AL_n wrote:

Thanks... There is no breather hole in the fuel cap.

There will be but it might not be obvious but as it still dies with the
cap off that isn't overly relevant.

Even with the cap I'm OK with dismantling things if necessary, but
where is the fuel filter located? Is it easy to access?

What make engine is it, beinga "Mountfield" brand I suspect it will be a
Briggs & Stratton. If so wander over to the B&S web site and get the full
manual for your engine, might take a bit of digging and finding the
actual model number of your engine, there are guides on the site where to
find that on the various engines.

The fuel filter, my smaller B&S engine, is a fine delicate mesh cylinder
that dips into the fuel tank from the carb. IIRC remove the carb/tank
assembly from the engine (two bolts) then split the carb from the tank be
careful of the reienforced rubber gasket between the carb and tank as
that forms the fuel pump and has a couple of flap valves built into it.

Might be worth checking the plug and spark before attacking the
carb/tank.

--
Cheers
Dave.