Old 23-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Henry

Default English Roses for MD

Kate Kaercher wrote:

I am getting Graham Thomas this year, and I have Tamora on my short
list. These two roses come very well recommended and that's the only
reason I'm considering them. Since I didn't like the growth habit of 5
of the 6 I had, I won't be looking at Austins again for a while.

I'm close by (Gaithersburg). My Graham Thomas is very tall and not
particularly dense. It could do with a bit more sun. If you have a
good bit of space, I'd recommend planting a group of them together,
perhaps two feet apart in a triangle. Then treat it like one large
shrub. The color is wonderful, the fragrance is nice early and then
seems to fade. (I wonder if that's a factor of the amount of sun,
also?) Not a small rose.

Personally, I like Austin's roses. Some take a few years to get really
set but I think they are pretty once established.

--
Henry