Old 20-08-2012, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Gardenbirdfeeder.co.uk never again

On 20/08/2012 14:45, Muddymike wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:42:31 +0100, Moonraker wrote:

I take on board al the comments, and hope the positive of you are
correct.

I saw nothing that rang scam alarm bells. A home run business by some one
who is not totally clued up about company law and what needs to be on a
website etc. certainly. It may only be a second or third income stream.

However I think it unlikely that someone who runs an internet
business would have their computer down for any length of time.

No but their residential phone line and/or residential ADSL from a mass
market ISP could well be. As there is an apparent level of "lack of
clue", having business grade services and/or back up connection(s)
probably hasn't occurred to them. They may not have the technical
knowledge to provision this, at minimal cost, for themselves.

I have had one like this where the unfortunate vendor had been taken
into hospital with a heart attack and no one else knew his password to
deal with enquiries! Some companies are tiny and may be effectively shut
down and on holiday particularly at this time of year.

No amount of back up connections could have prevented me being without
internet for a week when an over wide load on a lorry took out the pole
carrying the overhead lines to three properties including mine :-(

3G wireless dongle would do (but choose wisely if in a rural area).

Our phone and ADSL tends to go down due to either a fallen tree in a
winter storm, water in the junction box or hedge flailer destroying the
whole cabinet. The latter was particularly amusing as it triggered
hostile emergency responses to all the Redcare circuits as well!

BT were left with 6" shorter mangled cables and a lot of very tedious
line chasing to sort it out. Took them the best part of a fortnight.

Regards,
Martin Brown