Old 20-08-2012, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Petrol mower (Mountfield) lacking power...

"AL_n" wrote in message
"AL_n" wrote in
:

Can anyone help? I have a Mountfiled Empress 4hp petrol mower that I
obtained from someone who inherited it and wasn't sure if it was
working or not. I got it home, put some unleaded petrol in the tank,
checked the oil level and cleaned the air filter. After only a few
pulls of the pull-cord, it fired up and the engine seems to run
smoothly and steadily. However, it does seem to lack power and after
cutting some grass for a few feet, it seemed to gradually lose power.
This continued even with the blades lifted off the grass, and no
matter how I set the throttle.

Can anyone suggest a logical sequence of things I should check?

TIA for any help!

Al

PS... Now when I try to fire it up, it starts up OK, but then dies out
after about one second...

I had an old mountfield that did this, the magneto as it heated up lost its
magnetisms and the spark died.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs