Old 20-08-2012, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default garlic

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:58:15 -0500, Derald wrote:

songbird wrote:

guess where those 200 cloves are going?
i'm about halfway done planting the garlic and
then when the garlic is in i'll put peas/peapods
over them as a cover crop for the fall/winter.
before planting i weighed the cloves i planted so
that i can get a resulting weight difference.
about 2lbs of garlic. unfortunately i have yet
to find a scale for more accurate weighing...

the fun continues.

2011-12 was my first real attempt at garlic growing. In November,
planted a pound (Inchelium red) that came from Wisconsin. Half of it had
two months' induced "vernalization" at near-freezing. The vernalized
garlic was ready to harvest in June. Good but small heads. Believe me,
I've been thoroughly educated by "the cook". It seems further reading
about garlic nutrition might be wise, LOL! At any rate, the other garlic
persisted into July and came to nothing.
For 2012-12, purchased a pound each of "Inchelium red" and "Ajo
rojo" from a grower in Texas. Expecting delivery by late July, I first
found out the "Ajo rojo" is not available this year and, more recently,
received notice of a crop failure ("a warm winter and tons of rain", he
wrote): No garlic being shipped. Bummer.
Accepted his offer to provide garlic from a third-party because
it's far too late to shop elsewhere. I neglected to determine whether
and can only hope that it'll be from the south or southeastern US.
Anyway, here it is late August and I have no garlic in the 'fridge
as I'd hoped to have by now (sigh).

My first garlic crop was from Gilroy garlic at Costco. It did fine
and I kept some of the larger cloves and planted them. Have continued
that for several years now and I get a good crop each year. I guess
by now the stuff is acclimated to my climate.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills