Old 20-08-2012, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Some welcome veg.

"Baz" wrote

Over the last few weeks I have seen lots of contented gardeners who had
given up all hope of a plate of vegetables. Now in August have a bit of a
crop.
Runner beans seem to be the best. Followed by courgettes and some of the
brassicas.
Onions, shallotes a big no.
Potatoes a big no no.
Tomatoes are a bit iffy, indoors or out.
Sweetcorn ok but very small and tender. Just too small.

Well we felt like that too especially when the potatoes and tomatoes got
Blight so early.
We have had an excellent year for Garlic, Shallots and Onions, as good as
it's ever been.
Runner and French beans are cropping well now, we have even put some runners
back on the compost heap as so many people (ethnically non-Brit) don't know
what they are you can't give them away. Amazingly we have also come across
two Brit families that don't know what French Beans are this year.
Regarding Tomatoes, we usually only grow two Blight resistant varieties,
Ferline and Fantasio but this year I had some free seeds of "Black Russian"
and "Cherry" so put some in, nothing to lose. All grown outside on the plot
over 50% of the resistant ones have eventually died of Blight but we have
only lost two of the others. Never had those resistant varieties ever die of
blight before and they have all also been sprayed with Bordeaux Mixture.
Gave up growing Sweet Corn when we realised we just didn't eat it as it
crops too late for the BBQ season (remember those!)

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.