Old 21-08-2012, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default What should I be sowing now?

wrote in news:a9h3bkF4gvU2
@mid.individual.net:

Clearing out the spare room, and I keep bumping into the big pile of
seeds (which is currently on the bathroom floor). Seriously, I've
accumulated a whole carrier bag full of the damned things, with a bit
of overflow.

I'm pretty much ok with veg. I can do the chinese veg and the lettuces
and leafy wintery things now. Then in a couple of months it'll be the
overwintered broad beans and peas, if I can be bothered.

What I need to do is to work out which of the millions of flower seeds
I never get around to I should be planting now, without having to go
through all of theindividual instructions on the packets. A quick
list of common flowers that can be planted between now and Christmas
would be hugely appreciated!

Well, I have sown winter pansies and they are looking good I think, just
the 2 leaves at the moment but time will tell.
Violas are something to plant if you like to see colour in the garden
during winter. This advice is sort of first and second hand because my next
door neighbour always has these flowering during winter, and this year I
will do the same.

My advice on broad beans and peas is to motivate yourself and get a
smallish row of each in. I put my peas in as thickly as possible, no silly
2" gaps, lay them in thickly, almost touching. Same with broad beans but
one seed per inch, forget the instructions on the packet. Then in Feb.
March, April and May get more into the ground. Keep plenty of seed from
your crop for next year.

The pea I swear by is Hurst Greenshaft, very nice and sweet if podded early
and expect 9 peas per pod! IME/O the best by far. But it is classified as
maincrop which I think is blx.
The broad bean I swear by is Bunyards Exhibition, it has on average 6 beans
per pod and that is counting the 10 on a few and 2 in some . These plants
grow to about 6' and carry lots of pods. I never counted the pods.

I have to say that this year has been a washout. None. For difficult
circumstances.

Hope this is helpful.
Baz