Old 21-08-2012, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default hello from Glasgow

On 21/08/2012 13:10, Baz wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"allang0831" wrote ...

hello everyone im Allan , I live in Glasgow , Im 32 and have just
moved into our first house with a garden . We are complete novices to
gardening but want to basicaly re do the complete area we have , so
decided to join a forum for ideas and maybe a bit of help from
experienced heads so to speak . Looking forward to the banter .

If you now have a blank canvas upon which to make a garden then the
first thing is to get all those involved, wife, kids, to write down
separately what they personally want out of the garden, don't discuss
it now, write it down away from each other. Any plants that are "must
haves" also must be written down, they may be presents already
received or one that has sentimental value. This will give you a list
of "wants" which you can then discuss/argue over ending up with a list
of things to be provided. From that list it becomes easier to draw up
plans. For example, if you want a patio/sitting area in the sun when
you come home from work there is probably only one place for it,
likewise if the wife wants to sunbath all day, or you want a Lily pond
etc. Once you have roughly planed the "Hard Landscaping" then you need
to do the same thing with the planting. One person might like "Cottage
Garden" style with winding paths whilst another may like "Formal"
straight sharp paths or even "Tropical". Then, and only then, you can
start discussing the plants.

You should discuss all these things before starting as it's very
difficult to change later and you can save a lot of money getting it
right from the start.

I think, Bob, that it is better not to reply to gardenbanter posts.

Baz

Why? I thought everyone here were helping all gardeners. Why not point
him to this news group if you believe that is best?