Old 21-08-2012, 08:40 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
Clearing out the spare room, and I keep bumping into the big pile of
seeds (which is currently on the bathroom floor). Seriously, I've
accumulated a whole carrier bag full of the damned things, with a bit
of overflow.

I'm pretty much ok with veg. I can do the chinese veg and the lettuces
and leafy wintery things now. Then in a couple of months it'll be the
overwintered broad beans and peas, if I can be bothered.

What I need to do is to work out which of the millions of flower seeds
I never get around to I should be planting now, without having to go
through all of theindividual instructions on the packets. A quick
list of common flowers that can be planted between now and Christmas
would be hugely appreciated!

--
As a general rule of thumb, it'd be worth having a go with any hardy perennial or hardy biennial. (After all, this is the time of year that seed will be dropping to the ground)

Things that aren't going to be hardy over the winter won't be worth trying, unless you have somewhere warm for them through the winter. And even then there might not be enough light for them to be healthy.

And genuine annuals - things that grow, flower and seed in one season (as opposed to things we grow as annual but which aren't really - things that won't survive winter or which go leggy after flowering) will probably need planting in the spring unless the packet says otherwise.

Anything that needs stratifying - ie needs a cold period to stimulate germination - is well worth trying now - leave them outside over the winter and they should germinate in the spring.

As to specifics - calendula and eschscholtzia can be planted now, and sweet peas are better planted now rather than in the spring, if you've got somewhere to keep them over the winter.