Old 21-08-2012, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Plant IDs and pruning advice

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 13:15:48 +0000, Mitulove
wrote:

Hello,

I'd be very grateful if you could help identify these shrubs in our
garden and advise on whether they can be cut back hard.

Thank you!

http://tinyurl.com/8gtd6fz

This is a form of lonicera. It will happily stand hard pruning. I've
cut one down almost to ground level, leaving just a stump, and it's
regrown to about 3 feet in a single season. If in the process you find
side shoots, you can yank them up and replant - they root easily.

http://tinyurl.com/95vwxbh

This conifer (I've got one so should remember the name but have a
mental block) will not grow from dead wood. By all means gently prune
it back to keep it in check but do not cut beyond the green growth.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.