Old 23-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Jane Gillett

Default Maximising Rhubarb Crop

In article ,
Jon wrote:

I have quite a large patch of rhubarb, but know very little about it other
than I love to eat it. Someone told me last year to cover it to keep the
light out. I put an oil drum over some of it and it produced lovely long
thin stems as opposed to the unshaded shorter, thicker, more woody stems. I
have done the samr this year and there are stems ready now. It is obvious
that the unshaded ones are developing a strong leaf structure, which the
others are not. Am I doing the right thing?
Jonny

Have you got a riding stables anywhere near? This winter, get hold of large
plastic sacks, fill them with stable manure and put a sackful on top of
every rhubarb plant. Yes, a sackful to each plant. Will do it a world of
good. Speaking from experience.

Cheers
Jane

--