Old 23-08-2012, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default large-ish lawn tractor advice

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 08/21/2012 07:21 PM, Rod wrote:
On Tuesday, 21 August 2012 12:31:24 UTC+1, ryncharlton wrote:
Hi i cant comment on the two you suggested but if its any help at
all ,

i can say that the Kubota diesel engines are very simple and ,
very

tough litte engines which are long lasting and easy to maintain ,
so

purely for the reputation of the engine i would be swayed towards
the

Kubota

Ryan

[snip]
My experience at work was with general purpose compact tractors and I
can second the recommendation for Kubota, their little diesels are
great, in about 15 years I never knew any engine trouble, just oil to
change and oil and fuel filters to change. Our useage ran into
thousands of hours.

Rod

Thanks guys.

Yes, Kubota engines are good kit and very good on fuel as well. We have
a little Kubota micro with a 21hp engine, it has been very solid. Not
well adapted to lawns but good for orchard work and cleaning up fields.

The Iseki engines are also well regarded, at least around here.
Lifetime of a good mower is reported to be in excess of 5k hours.

One thing I don't really understand is the trade off between horse power
and displacement. For example the sxg19 and g21 are both 21 hp, but the
Kubota has a displacement of around 700cc whereas the Iseki is around
1000 cc. The Iseki guy was saying that the larger engine is better, but
even looking at it naively I'd think the smaller would be better on
fuel. And of course it's far more complicated than that... But why
would it be necessarily better to have a larger displacement?

-E

I would have thought the larger engine would not be working as hard to do
the same work,

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs