Old 23-08-2012, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Butternut Squash

In article ,
Cymbaline wrote:

I have 2 Butternut Squash plants that are growing well - I have pruned
it back quite a lot, as it was taking over the garden, but I am unsure
if I am going to be successful in getting it to fruit properly.

I am getting a lot of fruits and flowers, but when the fruits get to
about 2 inches big, they turn yellow and start to rot

Try hand-pollinating. If the female flower does not get pollinated, the
little pre-fruit does not develop, and rots off - just about as you
describe. The male flowers don't have the pre-fruit, so it's easy to pck
one of them, stipr the petals off, and rub it around a female flower to
pollinate. Ideally you want to do this soon after the flowers open (ones
that have already gone by usually won't work.)