Old 23-08-2012, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Butternut Squash

Cymbaline wrote:
I have 2 Butternut Squash plants that are growing well - I have pruned
it back quite a lot, as it was taking over the garden, but I am unsure
if I am going to be successful in getting it to fruit properly.

I am getting a lot of fruits and flowers, but when the fruits get to
about 2 inches big, they turn yellow and start to rot - is this
because I cut back too much, or not enough? Am I watering them too
much, or not enough? Am I giving them the wrong kind of food
(sometimes general purpose liquid plant food, sometimes a little
liquid tomato food I have left in my can)?

I have lifted the vines up raised them on to a pallet to keep them off
the ground, as I did have a slug problem, and that has stopped them
from being eaten, but now I am worried that as I keep pinching out, I
will be left with no fruits as i cut away the ones that appear to be
rotting.

This is my first year gardening (apart from when I was little and used
to "help" my dad!), so any advice would be welcome!

If the vines are growing well the most likely cause of poor fruiting is lack
of pollination. Do you have any bees? You ought to see them around quite
easily.

David