Old 23-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Charlie

Default Tomato Size?

Ah good. I might bring them indoors for a bit and see how they do on a
sunny windowsill.

Charlie.

"Little Badger" wrote in message
Charlie
You are panicking over nothing!
There's lots of time for them to catch up!
Remember garden centre plants are usually 'forced' into growing in time

for
the buying public!

Stick with the ones you've got as it's so much more fun growing from seed!

Badger

"Charlie" wrote in message
One was variety "Big Boy" from one of the big seed manufacturers and the
other was "Moneymaker" from Lidl (39p a pack - even if only one plant

bears
fruit its worth it!).

Peppers were mixed Hybrids from same big seed manufacturer (can't be
bothered to go and check - it's chilly now).

Compost was a big bag that was in the medium expense range from B&Q.

Grew
them in shallow trays on a sunny windowsill before transplanting to the
greenhouse in 3" pots where it's unfortunately not so sunny. Should I

move
them back onto the windowsill?

Charlie.

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote

in
message ...

"Charlie" wrote in message
What am I doing wrong! I sowed my tomatoes about a month ago and

they're
tiny Maybe I shouldn't have taken up veggie gardening after all!

Charlie.

What kind of seeds are they [1]? And what kind of compost [2]? Where

have
you planted them?

I'm far from expert but I start mine on a South-facing windowsill in a

seed
tray, then carefully transplant them into 8" pots, in B&Q

multi-purpose
compost, and leave them in the greenhouse, watering regularly. This

year,
as
I said, I've planted them directly into the soil in the greenhouse

because
I'm hoping they'll be less likely to suffer if I'm a bit forgetful

with
the
hosepipe.

Si

[1] Seeds I bought from Lidl last year did very badly, and the seeds I

saved
from a Tesco beef tomato grew extremely well but wouldn't bear fruit.

I've
always found www.dobies.co.uk to be very reliable.

[2] I found Asda compost to be completely useless - it looked like

bark
chippings and didn't seem to encourage much growth at all.

---

---