Old 24-08-2012, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default hello from Glasgow

kay wrote in news:kay.aad47b7
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

'Baz[_3_ Wrote:
;967277']
Because all replies go to gardenbanter and they use our replies to earn

money from advertising on their website. They do not ask any of us if it
is
ok to do so, they use our names, ISP and email (if you are daft enough
give a real email)

No, they don't give your ISP or email. From my point of view it's a
downside - when I was on urg, I gave my email as did many others, and it
allowed us to talk off group. Now I can only talk to those whose email I
already know. I can't send emails to new people, and they can't email
me.

Yes they do earn money on your content (presumably - I have scripts
disabled so don't see any ads - and they do honour X-no-archive). On the
other hand they do perform a useful service in making accessible a
newsgroup that most people would ever come across otherwise. Of the
people I talk to in everyday life, almost everyone has internet access,
but the only ones who have heard of usenet are those that came to the
internet over 10 years ago.

It's not just your content they are getting for free - they are also
getting mine! They don't pay gardenbanter users either.

You still don't get it do you! So I will silently block all of this content
and carry on. It really is invasive.

Baz