Old 24-08-2012, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Old blackcurrants

In article ,
says...

wrote in news:a9pbnqFh9nU1
@mid.individual.net:

I seem to have missed most of the picking season for blackcurrants.
They are all dried up on the bushes. :-(
Is there any reason not to harvest them in this state and then dry
them a bit more and eat them as dried fruit?

My one drops the ripe berries, so yours (or mine) have IMO some sort of
disease or pest, and I wouldn't risk it yet.

Baz

So does mine, and if I walk past and brush against it, the missed fruits
fall like rain.

I recall years ago seeing on TV a commercial blackcurrant picker that
was like a great big tray that shook the plants and gathered up the
falling berries. That's a good idea I though, got out some old
decorating clothes and spread them around a bush and shook - great, off
came the berries, but so did all the dried and loose leaves and other
debris! Took me longer to pick out the berries from the debris than it
would have to pick them!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales