Old 25-08-2012, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Is it ivy

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 12:36:42 +1000, F
wrote:

Is this parasitic evil triffid ivy ?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink

I have cut all the vine trunks from a metre of plum tree trunk,will the
rest die ?
the roots are close to the plum tree roots and hard to remove, if I keep
removing green bits as they regrow will the roots die.
I did not want to use glyphosate as it might get to plum tree.

The best you can do is carefully dig down around the vine roots and
pull them out as best you can... if you water deeply it will make the
job a lot easier, in fact shooting a strong steam of water at the soil
around the vine roots will make the job go a lot quicker... keep at it
and eventually the vine will be kaput. That tree looks too close to
that shed/building and was obviously erected long after that tree was
growing there, why was that structure placed so close... half the
tree's roots are under the building.

It is a fence.I just moved in and original owner probably planted it.
The ivy roots are right next to the tree roots and are difficult to attack