Old 25-08-2012, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Snakes

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 10:55:27 GMT, Baz wrote:

This is not Australia and we are lucky to have only one species which is
venomous in the UK. which is the adder. A shy, very rarely seen animal, let
alone getting bitten by one.

Baz

They're not that shy or rare around here. I often find one basking in
the garden on sunny days, and once found a group of adderlings. But
then I'm next to farmland and there's a small river not far away. If
it doesn't move, a heavy stamp of the foot usually wakes it up and off
it goes. They're very sensitive to vibration which is why walkers in
the country won't come across them that often.

(For clarification, sunny days are few and far between this year but
if it is sunny there's a fair chance of finding one.)

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.