Old 26-08-2012, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Marcella Peek Marcella Peek is offline

Default What to do with lemons

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

I have a surplus of lemons. I have made lemon cordial, Moroccan
preserved lemons, lemon marmalade and I have a year's supply frozen
lemon juice or more. There are still 4 milk crates of them left. If
refrigerated I might use half a crate over the next few months
before they go rotten. There is no market for them and there are
insufficient takers to give them all away. Any constructive
suggestions?

David

No shelters, or community kitchens? You may have to go where the need
is.

More than a hour drive :-(

Have you tried http://www.neighborhoodfruit.com/faq ? You can register
your trees and share what you have with others.

I made and froze lemon curd last year. That works if you have the
freezer space since you can't water bath can it.

Since your street isn't busy is there a place you could take the fruit
to share? Would the local hardware store let you put them out front
with a free sign? Sometimes people at our church will bring bags of
excess fruit from their trees and members of the congregation can take
what they like. Even if you don't belong to a church, there might be
one willing to share your fruit with their congregation members.

marcella