Old 27-08-2012, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Passiflora help for North Yorkshire

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Danny Boy1918" wrote in message

I live in Whitby, North Yorkshire and a friend has just given me a small
passiflora 'Constance Elliot'. I would like to put it in a large pot,
as I only have a yard and no garden, but am not sure how to care for it
during winter.

Danny, as you live on the coast your winter will be mild enough for a
Passiflora to overwinter outside (just!) but as you have already guessed you
will need to prevent the pot freezing and also getting too wet so make sure
the pot is up close to a wall for winter not sat flat on the ground (chock
the bottom with as stone), pot lagged and some covering to keep excess rain
out of the pot.

I managed to get 'Constance Elliot' to survive unprotected for a
couple of winters in Cambridge, but it never thrived. However,
my soil is 60% sand, and so NEVER waterlogs. You have a good
chance, by following the above advice, even though it is a bit
tenderer than the ordinary blue P. caerulea.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.