Old 27-08-2012, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default At last! A red tomato.

"Baz" wrote

My grand daughter is thrilled to bits with her small garden and she has the
very first ripe outdoor tomato of the year. She is giving me advice, she
says, next year. Seriously.
In sons main garden the tomatoes are still very green even after nipping
them out with only 2 trusses each.

I think she/you have done well. We are the only gardeners on our allotment
site still with tomatoes the rest have lost theirs to blight including the
one that also grows blight resistant varieties and sprays.
Despite using Bordeaux Mixture our tomatoes have suffered badly, over half
of our Blight Resistant varieties have died**yet we still have some "Black
Russian" and "Cherry" ones growing well with fruit slowly going red. Picked
the first red cherry ones yesterday.
** Some died of Blight but three large plants just died, no sign of blight,
one day OK, the next they had wilted. Perhaps it got the roots.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.