Old 28-08-2012, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_12_] Billy[_12_] is offline

Default Is it ivy

In article ,
songbird wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:
I have to say to start I don't know the answer and I am asking questions to
try to work one out. The reason I doubt the crossover from root to root
idea is that glyphosate is said to be quickly deactivated in contact with
the soil so it seems a bit much for it to cross two membranes and the soil
and arrive intact. The idea that ivy draws on the fluids from its host
seems a more promising mechanism to me. If anybody has any references to
that I would like to read them.

no actual references beyond general biology texts
which do show that fungal hyphae can move nutrients
around between plants or from the soil into plants
(they do act as a phosphate transport).

songbird

The glyphosate bonds to the enzyme 5-enolpyruvylshikimate-3-phosphate
synthase (EPSPS).

X-ray crystallographic studies of glyphosate and EPSPS show that
glyphosate functions by occupying the binding site of the
phosphoenolpyruvate (which would normally bonding at this site),
mimicking an intermediate state of the ternary enzyme substrates complex.

As you can see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbuscular_mycorrhizae
AM fungi (AMF) help plants to capture nutrients such as phosphorus,
sulfur, nitrogen and micronutrients from the soil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate
As you can see glyphosate is a much larger molecule than the nutrients,
and there is no reason to suppose that the mycorrhizae could transport a
molecule as large as glyphosate.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or