Old 27-02-2003, 09:20 PM
Sean Nemecek

Default [IBC] Odd distinctions

I couldn't disagree with this example more. "Doing" does not lead to doing
well. Sometimes it leads to continued patterns of poor performance.
Especially when theory is ignored. They are equally important for
excellence.

But this example misses the core of my argument. Not everyone learns the
same way. Some learn BEST by understanding theory first. Others learn BEST
by trial and error.

Nuff said,
Sean
From: "Sean Nemecek"
snip
They're two parts of process and the practice is the most important, by
far.
snip
Yes they are two parts of the process. However, one cannot be elevated
above another. Many people who are principle oriented learners, need to
have the theory in order to be able to do the practice. For them theory

is
more important. However, it is incomplete without practice.

snip
Humbly,
Sean Nemecek

------------------

I think that I can refute your premise by citing the following (extreme)
example: If a person merely "does" (presumably as instructed) and get no
theory, this person will be able to perform the skills and since this
individual also has some intelligence, he/she will have come to understand
many things from this practice - probably all of the theory that would
otherwise have been offered.

However, if a person gets theory only, no matter how long this kind of
"instruction" is offered, the student will not have the capacity to "do"

the
work.

Yes, they are both good parts of the process, but practice is simply the
more important of the two.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas