Old 28-08-2012, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline

Default pumpkin musings

Pretty funny. You used Round-up, and now you want to know what's wrong
with your crop? ;O))
Glad I won't be eating it.

Where did I ask what was wrong with my crop? (It certainly had
nothing to do with the roundup, because the plants were very vigorous
and doing better than I've ever seen until the powdery mildew and squash
vine borers set in.) I think I was pretty clear about stating exactly
what the problems were, along with my specific attempts to solve each
issue. If anything, I probably encouraged the powdery mildew issue by
watering the plants too often, due to the drought.

Besides, pumpkins are ornamentals as far as I'm concerned. We use
them for Jack O' Lanterns in the fall, nothing more. We won't be eating
them, either. Good point though - I suppose I should just treat them
like ornamentals that typically get killed by pests, and use a systemic
insecticide on them to assure that my kids get pumpkins to carve in the
fall.

Hmm, although Billy didn't suggest it directly, I guess he convinced
me to use more pesticides in the future and be proactive instead of
reactive - thanks!