Old 28-08-2012, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default Lidle peat free compost

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

If they, and I mean the Government and the "Green" lobby too, want us to use
this recycled waste instead of peat then they have to sterilise it
thoroughly before sale. ...

[Coming in late to this, but ...] Doesn't the heat generated kill off
all seeds, pathogens, etc.? The heaps are vast (like slag heaps!), and
get turned regularly.

Surely they wouldn't be carrying out these operations if they hadn't
taken into consideration the question of sterilisation? It's easy to
talk about "they" meaning "The Council", but the people actually
concerned aren't bungling councillors (as they're often thought of), but
professionals in their respective fields.

(Having said that: the people actually ding the work, as opposed to
commissioning it, are farmers round our way, and they're not best known
for due diligence!)

John