Old 23-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Rachel Sullivan

Default Climber to cover a dead conifer in the wrong place.......

In article , Richard
Roocroft writes

Thanks to all who replied - very kind of you to take the time.

I'm swaying towards a Clemmy alpina now. Hadn't thought about the
possibility of fungal infections in the dead tree, though - thought it
would be there for years, as the 3 or 4 trunks are at least a foot
across - I would've thought it would take a lot of shifting, which was
why I fancied climbers anyway. Alpina 'Constance' looks stunning !
Anyone any experience of growing this up a conifer or tree ?

It'll be fine. Just plant it generously to start off with, make sure it
gets plenty to drink while it's getting established. P'raps a mulch in
autumn & a bit of bonemeal in spring if you're feeling kind.

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site