Old 29-08-2012, 08:56 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitulove View Post
Hello,

Is it possible to coppice an overgrown dogwood? I'd just have at it when it's the appropriate time, but we live in a rental and I'm afraid of ruining the thing.

Thank you!
If it's one of the dogwoods with coloured stems, it's normal to coppice it, as it's the young stems that have the best colour.

Normal time is late spring, after you've had time to enjoy the stems but giving time for new stems to grow for next year. If it hasn't been pruned for many years, I'd be worried about doing it all in one go, I might do it over 2 or 3 years.

None of this applies if it's one of the other Cornus species, grown for flowers rather than stem colour.