Old 23-04-2003, 09:44 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Bromeliads - Pineapples

Lambert schreef
I've done some rough research and all I can come up with is that the

enzyme may have something to do with the plant's method to acquire
nutrients. The crown at the top of the pineapple collects decomposing
material and absorbs nutrients this way.

I thought about the enzymes being appealing for eating etc. but Bromelin

hydrolizes proteins and would be generally uncomfortable for an animal to
eat (speculation)? Certainly when humans eat pineapples their tongues can
feel itchy/raw/red etc...

+ + +
A key question is the concentration of such enzymes in the fruits of
the wild progenitors. The present properties of pineapples have been set by
selection in cultivation.
PvR