Old 30-08-2012, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Lost corn?

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:49:47 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson wrote:
The stalks look healthy, but they are already making tassels, with
nary sign of ears.

Nabe nursey guy said it's a lost cause, but I wonder WHY? They were
started well, transplanted well, took off like gangbusters. Why did
they -- if indeed nursery guy is right -- jump the gun?

Is there still a prayer?

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/...=Corn-lost.jpg

Tassels always appear before ears. But why the heck are you transplanting
corn???

With the high temperatures this summer in most of North America, I'd not count
on much of a crop. High temperatures at an early point in pollen development
causes sterile pollen.