Old 29-08-2012, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Ovegrown dogwood

On 29/08/2012 18:22, Mitulove wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to coppice an overgrown dogwood? I'd just have at it
when it's the appropriate time, but we live in a rental and I'm afraid
of ruining the thing.

Thank you!

Is it one with coloured stems that you look at in winter or a flowering
one. Your best bet now is cut out the oldest thickest boring looking
stems low down and retain the ones with decent colour. Then prune again
in spring to remove less coloured wood after it starts into growth.

They survive industrial gardening with a a chain saw so I expect they
are pretty hard to kill.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown