Old 30-08-2012, 04:37 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitulove View Post
Well, some of the very new growth is a pinkish colour and the flowers were very puny and not terribly interesting, so I'm guessing it's one grown for the stems. We thinned the thing out about a month ago because it was so tangled and congested and has a terrible mildew problem. It survived this procedure OK, it seems. It's still about 7'X7'. Is it vital to wait until winter/spring to cut it back? It would be nice to be able to better access the area underneath to plant some bulbs and whatnot.
I would have thought the soil directly below would be quite dry, and bulbs would have a hard time competing with the Cornus roots.