Old 31-08-2012, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Bitter cucumbers

Farm1 wrote:
Over in the uk.rec.gardening gorup there is a current discussion about
bitter cucumbers for those who may like to wander over and through an
eye over it.

I don't like the theory that bitterness is due to pollination. I never cull
male flowers, I always have swarms of bees and rarely get bitter fruit. I
think if you effectively prevent pollination on open pollinated varieties
you will get very small stunted fruit or none. I don't know much about F1
hybrids (or 'indoor' cucumbers whatever they may be) as I don't use hybrids
except for corn. To me the stress theory is more likely to be right.