Old 01-09-2012, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default At last! A red tomato.

Gary Woods wrote:
My grand daughter is thrilled to bits with her small garden and she has the
very first ripe outdoor tomato of the year. She is giving me advice, she
says, next year.

If it's any consolation, I have lots of green tomatoes in my colonial
garden, but only a few a day ripening, so barely enough for salad and
marinated ("Rotten") tomatoes. And that's with several dozen plants of
various heirloom types. I'm still hoping for a late-summer rush so I can
do juice and sauce.

If everyone's tomatoes are doing badly it makes me feel better about my
lack of beans and courgettes. My tomatoes, at least the cherries, have been
ripening up well in the greenhouse for over a month now! I think that this
year is the earliest ever, as normally I'm banana-ing them for the club show
the week before, which is mid-August, and this year I was spoilt for choice.