Old 01-09-2012, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Has summer arrived?

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 09:19:04 GMT, Baz wrote:

Jake, how is that VicPlum going on? Mine is now growing some new wood
despite a poor spring and summer. It dropped most of the leaves early on.

Hope yours is fairing better.
Baz

It's put on a fair bit of growth and is about a foot higher than when
planted (it's a dwarf that shouldn't grow more than about 8 feet
tall). Still looking leafy and healthy so it's a case of seeing what
next year brings. Despite lack of fruit, the fruit trees are the only
ones still keeping their leaves. Leaf collecting from other trees has
been a daily task since the beginning of August!

What I'm finding interesting is that the trees usually lose leaves
starting from the outside in; this year the leaf loss is starting
closest to the trunk and moving out.

Still picking strawberries, BTW, about a bowl a day, which isn't bad
from 24 plants. Plenty of flowers too so if we get an Indian summer
I'm hoping they'll come to something.

And I dug up my first dandelion of the year yesterday.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.