Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Has summer arrived?

Jake wrote in
:

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 09:19:04 GMT, Baz wrote:

Jake, how is that VicPlum going on? Mine is now growing some new wood
despite a poor spring and summer. It dropped most of the leaves early

on.

Hope yours is fairing better.
Baz

It's put on a fair bit of growth and is about a foot higher than when
planted (it's a dwarf that shouldn't grow more than about 8 feet
tall). Still looking leafy and healthy so it's a case of seeing what
next year brings. Despite lack of fruit, the fruit trees are the only
ones still keeping their leaves. Leaf collecting from other trees has
been a daily task since the beginning of August!

What I'm finding interesting is that the trees usually lose leaves
starting from the outside in; this year the leaf loss is starting
closest to the trunk and moving out.

Still picking strawberries, BTW, about a bowl a day, which isn't bad
from 24 plants. Plenty of flowers too so if we get an Indian summer
I'm hoping they'll come to something.

And I dug up my first dandelion of the year yesterday.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

You lucky sod! Maybe not luck, as you know just how to.
You dug up your first dandelion yesterday? Why do you grow them? We
really don't want them here, a bit of a nuicance on lawns etc.
Apart from the fruit trees and bushes, I have absolutely nothing in the
garden mow. A new start next year.
I have decided that a few flowers and flowering shrubs are in order and
have already bought some in pots to plant. A bit more balanced of a
garden, rather than just veg. I also have some winter pansies from seed
to brighten up things. They grow very slowly for my liking.
Who knows, I may become a "compleat" gardener one day.

Good luck, Jake(if you need it)
Baz