Old 02-09-2012, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree Felling in London/Kent

On 9/2/12 11:06 AM, stvnshrmptn wrote:
We have three trees (conifers I think?) in our back garden, that I would
love to have taken down. As our garden is fairly small (5m x 12m), they
take up 3-4m at the rear of our garden which is a significant
percentage.

We are in London/Kent, and are going to get some quotes together. The
trunks are about 30-40 across, and the trees are 12-14m high.

Any info/opinions would be appreciated, especially on prices and
particular things we should ask or look out for.

Thanks ...

Living in the U.S., I would have no idea about prices. Having had trees
removed, however, I can tell you two things to specify.

You should have the stumps be ground out so that something else can be
planted in that spot. Even if they are indeed well ground out, you
should wait at least a season before planting there. In the meantime,
apply a high-nitrogen fertilizer in the spot to promote rapid
decomposition of wood chips and roots.

You should specify what to do with the waste. Do you want logs for your
fireplace? If smaller branches are chipped, do you want the chips for
use as a mulch or to add to your compost pile? Perhaps, you might want
just enough chips to fill the holes where the stumps were ground out; in
that case, be sure to blend the chips into the soil.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see