Old 03-09-2012, 11:03 AM
miljee miljee is offline
Registered User

The 'problem' with the tree, such as it is a problem, is that although it has an OK basic shape, all the new growth is a mass of whip straight 2-3 foot long canes, reaching skywards. Few of these could ever be used to add additional structure to the tree in the longer term.

There's no disease as such.

I suppose what I'm really asking is: Can I do the 'post-crop Autumn prune' now seeing as there'll be no crop? I do need to continue to do some shaping on the tree- as ever, it is way too close to its neighbour, a stand of bamboo and has been allowed, prior to our moving here, to grow into the bamboo with a fair lean in that direction. It hadn't been pruned from original planting I'd say, too! I am encouraging it towards a more upright stance, especially as I am also planting an ornamental tree to its other side (correctly spaced!)