Old 04-09-2012, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Tree Felling in London/Kent

stvnshrmptn wrote:

Access is no problem as we have a large area out the back so direct
access should help.

Will make the tree removal much less expensive.

If I don't want to grow anything on the area, is
there a point to having the stumps ground out?

Not really much point to stump removal, however some think the stumps
unsightly and if one has grass to mow the stumps present something to
mow around. Many folks have the stumps cut level and use them to set
planters upon. Most conifers being soft woods the stumps will decay
relatively rapidly, in about ten years they'll melt into the ground.
If you have small children it's wise to remove the stumps as in their
playing they are apt to trip over them and crack their heads. Whether
to grind/remove stumps is mostly a personal choice. Some I've had
ground to below grade, some not, for me it depends on location. I
don't suggest planting another tree in that same spot, the soil where
a tree grew will have been depleted of nutrients. If you insist on
replacing a tree in the same location it's smart to rehab that spot by
tilling in lots of quality topsoil to a minimum of 18" and a 6'
diameter. Also choose a different type of tree, one with different
nutrient requirements, and with a growing habit appropriate to the
location.