Old 05-09-2012, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Secateurs. Any recommendations please.

NT wrote in
:

On Sep 4, 8:34*pm, "Nick" wrote:
Hello folks.
My (30yr+) old secateurs are coming to the end of their natural. I
prefer anvil type as they seem to be more resilient to light abuse
than pass-through or parrot nose types. After many sharpenings and
adjustments

of
the anvil, they will no longer cut clean and sharp.
No doubt tech has moved on, and I would appreciate any hints, tips,
or recommendations.
A factor important to me is grip size. I have normal (?) sized hands
for

60yo man. My wifes Sandvik secateurs, whilst good, are too big for
me. Sh

often has to use them double handed. Frequently I'm up a ladder or
some s

uch
silliness and a good grip on both items is welcomed. The old ones are
Wol

f I
think, but any lettering has long since been worn away.

Many thanks.
Nick.

I don't think there are any technological changes. And I don't think
brand matters, as long as they're sharp and close correctly on the
anvil you're good.

NT

Sorry to disagree. The brand matters very much indeed. Cheap foreign
steel is used to make and supply cheap foreign tools and are a waste of
money.
Felco I think are the best and that brand is what you need to aim for if
it is to last your lifetime. Never buy cheap tools if you need to use
them more than once or twice.
My Felco anvil secateurs cost me £30 4 or 5 years ago. A lot of money but
they have severed lots of wood when I had to break up lots of conifer
branches to get rid of.

Just my view.
Baz