Old 05-09-2012, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default B..... Squirrels

"David Hill" wrote ...

Went to have a look at my Runner beans this morning and around 20 ft of
them have been wiped out.
What I assume to be a squirrel has cropped them from around 6 inches to
around 15 inches, also chewed the netting as well.
Also a few dwarf peas I'd sown have also been cleared almost to the ground.
As there's electric netting around the patch I doubt it's rabbits.
David @ a sunny part of Swansea Bay.

Funny you should post that on the day that I had a call from allotments to
say that one young Mum, a widow, has had a lot of her runner beans cut at
the base killing the plants. She was in tears. Went down there to check and
they have been cut not eaten by an animal, none of the stem is missing and
it's a straight cut. I won't post what I said but I think you can imagine.
It's the only vandalism I've ever known on this site, ever, but she also had
all her peas taken a couple of months ago which is a strange coincidence (or
not!).
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.