Old 06-09-2012, 06:46 AM
rhubarb rhubarb is offline
Registered User

The whole male flower removal is new to me. In my experience, cucumbers become bitter under only a couple of conditions. 1) Lack of water - you go away for a few days, it's warm or hot, and nobody waters the garden. 2) Basically the same thing, inconsistency of watering.

At worst, every once in a while I'll have a cucumber where the very ends (1-2 cm or so) are bitter.

However, cucumbers given to me by other gardeners are sometimes bitter and in most cases when I follow up, I discover they have gone on vacation or been away from the garden for other reasons, which meant a failure of consistent watering.

Personally, it's never been an issue in our gardens which I've always attributed to consistent watering.