Old 06-09-2012, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default B..... Squirrels

On Sep 5, 8:51*pm, Farmer Giles wrote:
On 05/09/2012 20:05, harry wrote:

On Sep 5, 7:18 pm, Farmer Giles wrote:
On 05/09/2012 18:59, David Hill wrote:

On 05/09/2012 17:15, cotula wrote:
On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 13:37:23 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

Went to have a look at my Runner beans this morning and around 20 ft of
them have been wiped out.
What I assume to be a squirrel has cropped them from around 6 inches to
around 15 inches, also chewed the netting as well.
Also a few dwarf peas I'd sown have also been cleared almost to the
ground.
As there's electric netting around the patch I doubt it's rabbits.
David @ a sunny part of Swansea Bay.

In this garden, I would have immediately thought *it was the Roe deer
which are frequently around. Might it be deer there?

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
* *on slightly alkaline clay.

Deer No.
Expensive yes

My money's on rabbits. A few years ago I made an allotment in a two-acre
field that I owned. I fenced it all the way round with pig wire putting
chicken wire on top of that - which I also buried to a depth of about 18
inches, the recommended depth to keep out rabbits. My runner beans were
eaten just like yours. I planted some more, and they were also eaten. I
was baffled by this, because I was convinced no rabbits could get in -
particularly as there were no signs of any rabbit digging around the
perimeter. The mystery was solved when I found an almost completely
hidden rabbit hole in the middle of the plot. Yes, I had fenced the
rabbits out, except for these buggers - which I had fenced IN!

I'd have a really good search if I were you.

(I might have also have emailed this directly to you - damn those
Thunderbird changes!)- Hide quoted text -

I put up a buried fence for moles. I fenced some in too.
I think rabbits is more likely too.

You'd need to bury the fence a long way down to keep out moles, some of
their tunnels go down a long way. Trapping's the answer to them - I get
'em very quickly with a tunnel trap.- Hide quoted text -

I put in sheets of currgated iron I happened to have. About 18" deep.
I caught one with a trap but there is/are more. Failed to catch so far.