Old 06-09-2012, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Garden News Subscription. Question!

kay wrote in
:

RiversideRed;968216 Wrote:
Hi, I'm considering a years subscription the the Garden News but
wonder

whether during the winter months
it would be of interest, anyboby got any input.
Thanks

Well, that rather depends on what you're interested in!

Winter in the garden means pruning, planting bare-root trees and
shrubs, but above all, planning what you're going to grow in the
following year, so it's a time when you need a lot of information on
plants that you've not grown before and what their requirements are.

Yes, planning for the following year is, for me, one of the things I
enjoy during the winter. Mags, paper or online, give me lots of ideas but
ohhhh the advertising in them makes my colon twitch. Much of it is not even
closely related to the title of the many mags I used to buy.
For example I used to buy 2 or 3 angling mags per month and the last ones I
bought all had a 2 page spread on the world of leather closing down sale.
The same spread with burgers, get one free. buy a bargain bucket etc. etc.
etc. 25% topic 75% advertisements.
IMO mags are a waste of money unless you need to know these things or can
tolerate advertising at the front of your face, and are willing to pay for
these priviledges.
Of course not all mags are like this, but ALL the ones I have seen are.

A bit negative, I know.
Baz