Old 07-09-2012, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Why not?

In article , Sacha
On 2012-09-07 11:38:19 +0100, Martin said:

Post on here about growing cannabis plants.........if more people got
into
this, it would be impossible for the powers that be to do a single
thing ab
out it, and for many people it would be a good way to get out of
impossible
financial situations, relatively easily.

Possibly because it's illegal, it's an ugly plant and because we don't
all do drugs? I wouldn't be involved with anything like that for a
million pounds. What is now known about the effects of long-term
smoking of cannabis is far too worrying to be lightheared about it.
Imo.

Used long term, in large quantities, it's almost as bad as tobacco.

Tobacco doesn't make people psychotic.

The evidence that cannabis does is very dubious. Many millions
(perhaps billions) of pounds have been put into research aiming
to prove that cannabis is harmful, but it took five decades before
any could be found that would stand up to even cursory analysis.
That wasn't money spent on investigating whether it is harmful
and, if so, in which ways and how much, but in scratching around
trying to find SOME evidence to hang onto cannabis.

One point often missed by non-statisticians is that, if you do
a thousand separate investigations into whether X is harmful,
you will get (on average) one that says that it is at the 0.1%
level of significance (highly significant), even if it is not
harmful at all. And, yes, there have been that many.

I haven't looked at the actual research papers, but I am pretty
sure that the most that has been shown is a small association
between long-term, heavy cannabis use and some psychological
problems. Plus an association between heavy use in adolescence
and some other ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I heard a report somewhere that smoking will be banned in the next 20 years.
The ban can't come soon enough for me.

Mike